The ‘ah ha’ moment for me was the realization that you can make up a couple of batches and throw them in the freezer. The night before throw your smoothie in the fridge and ba-da-bing you got a smoothie in the morning. So no obnoxious blender noises early in the morning.
Sure you could go to the local smoothie shop and buy one, but they cost a lot and you never really know what is going in them and most of the smoothie places aren’t open in the early mornings. Or you could go to the store and buy a 4 pack of pre-made smoothies, but for the cost of one of those you could make yourself almost a weeks worth of yummy drinks. Another thing is smoothies are not the same as powered shakes. A little preparation goes a long way, take the time and reap the benefits.
What to put in them
Smoothies are like chili, you can throw pretty much anything into them. As long as you throw more of the main ingredient that you want your smoothie to taste like, you’re good to go. The best part about smoothies is you can ‘hide’ servings of green leafy vegetables without tasting them! Seriously, you don’t taste the veggies! Imagine having a serving a spinach every morning! By the way, spinach is on my super-food list, see below.
One of my favorite smoothie mixes. Makes me three batches, but could be split into 4.
- 1/2 cup of water
- A Bunch of spinach (save money by buying the bunch instead of the bags)
- 2 Cups of Plain Yogurt
- 2 tbls of lemon juice
- 1 cup of unflavored Almond Milk
- 6 tablespoons of ground flax Adds your Omega Fatty Acids
- Whole Bag (3 cups) of frozen strawberries
- Half bag (1 cup) of frozen blueberries
- 2 Whole Bananas
- Size of blenders vary, you may have to experiment with amounts
- Blend the vegetables in the water first, then add ingrediants one by one, makes it much easier on the blender
- Experiment with different ingredients, for example I added a cucumber the other day and it tasted awesome!
- Add a scoop of vanilla whey to add some fat burning, muscle building protein
- Try these Ingredients (not all at once): Kiwi, Apples, Peaches, Vanilla Yogurt, Instant Coffee, Cocoa, Mango, Watermelon, Orange, Pineapple
Make sure you go ‘Like’ my Facebook Fan page! http://facebook.com/joefitness
If you do, I have few bonus fat loss guides for you:
These are the same guides I give my personal training clients for weight loss!
- 21 Super Foods You should be eating
- Carbohydrate, Protein, and Fat Guide
- Healthy Kitchen Makeover Guide
Thanks for reading, have a healthy day!